Wednesday 5 March 2014

Artist models: Frida Kahlo

Frida Kahlo used her art as a way of expressing the pain she suffered in her life. This is what I hope to express through my painting folio, but for the pain women suffer from the beauty expectations that are forced upon them. Her works have an element of surrealism to them, which is what I'd like to incorporate into my work, like replacing the head of the deer with her own, and the roots of the leaves running through her body. Her paintings are also heavy on symbolism, through imagery like nature, animals and anatomy. These are things that I'm using as subject matter for my own work, so I hope to introduce similar forms of symbolism as in Frida's paintings.

The Broken Column (1944)

Self Portrait with Monkey (1940)

The Wounded Deer (1946)

Roots (1943)

Henry Ford Hospital (1932)

No comments:

Post a Comment